Saturday, October 06, 2007

Home Appliance Hassles - Part 1

Malaysia - Chapter of the Cooker Hood

After a troublesome study and wandering around in the jungle of modern cooking appliances, shifting through pages of brochures and lepak not less than 5 major forums, finally settled down with Tellini cooker hood and looking forward for other stuffs.

Some critical decisive factors include:


1. Extraction Rate
Famous brands like Rinnai, Fujioh, Sakura doesn't offer the air extraction rate that's desired within our shrinking tiny budget. They usually only ranged from 700 m3/h to 900 m3/h and effectively useless for asian cooking styles.

2. Cooking Style
Again, famous western brands like Electrolux, Fagor and Teka are, in my opinions, not really suitable for our deep fry style of cooking. Oil will spill everywhere and your wife will starts complaining like no tomorrow when she's cleaning up the mess.

3. Brand
With branded cooker hoods, comes with hefty price tag. Fujioh is one expensive monster but darn effective workhorse. Rinnai is relatively expensive too but not effective when you get one of its midrange hoods. Other brands like Pacific, Futile, Tellini and Fagor are within my consideration.

4. Price
Hoo ha, midrange products prices ranged from RM800 to RM4000 depends on the other considerations I stated above and below. My budget is only RM1.5K to RM2K.

5. Maintenance
Mrs. Nerdy (Haha, I will start to salute her this way) starts her murmuring on some Auto-cleaning techie thingy after she heard some horror stories on never ending cleaning nightmare from her colleagues. Ok, scope creep happened in real life and this is a major scope creep as it will definitely add up to the cost. Commonly, there are 2 types of auto cleaning methods,

a.) Hot Cleaning
b.) Liquid based Cleaning

Hot cleaning will use heats to melt the collected grease and a turbine to direct the oil to the designated container. For liquid based, you will need to pour some cleaner into a storage tank and activate the cleaning function and it will wash the fan/etc and flush out the dirty water into designated container.



One of the most problematic dilemmas when finalizing the purchase was the issue of packaging. Distributors like to bundle their hob and hood together as some best buy deal. I dislike the idea when I start to think of buying the two things separately would require me to spend extra dollar. Darn, and I definitely prefer a best of the class solution, instead of getting something not really I want.

Examples include

1. Rinnai

RH970S Cooker Hood + RG2BSi Hob.

I admired the built and appearance of Rinnai's inner flame hob, which looks solid enough to last decades. But I don't really like the bundled cooker hood range since it is filter based and only got 700 extraction rates. Price tag at about RM2K.

2. Ika, Rubine, PeXXXX (I forgot the name), Ela

Fall below my budget of RM1.5K to RM2K and they comes... again with hob. One thing worrying me is the use of digital display panel. Haha, sometimes I just don't trust technology enough to acquire one of these. LOL

3. Fagor, Futile, Pacific, Tellini, Teka, Electrolux
Within my budget. Relatively popular. Meet most of my functional requirements.

At this point, it is obvious that one of the constraint is that I'm forcefully to get one of the "promotional" bundled package.

So, how's Tellini came into picture? Well, it's all started with the following flyer:



Wooo Hoooo, RM1.3K for a hood with 1500 m3/h suction power and auto cleaning feature. Eager me printed out the flyer and rushed to one of the shops selling this Tellini thingy.

I need to choose between Hot auto-wash or liquid based auto-wash. Both are roughly same price but the one with hot auto wash got 1500m3/h suction power and the other only 1250 m3/h.

Well, confirmed going with HSW-2me Turbo AutoWash model because Mrs. Nerdy believes that liquid based cleaning is cleaner. (No comment about this, :p) Emmm.. Ok, no fancy designer type chimney hood, that's for sure. I'm fine with that and so with Mrs. Nerdy.

Emmm... Not bad. It got the twin fans, 6 speed button control, auto cleaning and designed for asian style cooking.

Again (Yaks), the bundling of hood and hob made me sick. Let buying the hood alone is RM1248 and if you buy both the hoob and hob, it will cost you RM1248..... What the heck, this is like giving away the hob (Worth RM548) for free.

Anyway, the "free" hob doesn't have the auto gas cut off safety feature and the design is less efficient than the higher end peers. To upgrade to higher end, you need to pay extra RM600 for TGB-2ms model.

Fine. If they want to give out their hob for "free", how could I refuse it? :p

(Mrs. Nerdy at the other end already hinted me that she wants a Rinnai burner LOL)

RM1.38K for the Set C package, alum. ducting set and wall cap. RM132 for the ducting set and cap might be a bit expensive but they claimed giving us a thicker ducting exhaust hose. No installation included since I planned to get cheaper labor to do the job instead of paying extra RM300.

However, I can't really tell whether buying this Tellini hood actually worth the money since I wouldn't know until the day Mrs. Nerdy use it (and when she starts complaining). Life's moving on.

26 comments:

f eelin gs said...

Hi there,

I came across your blog while checking on the hoods. How is your Tellini Hood going on?

I am interested in buying one but cant decide which is good, easy to clean and practical.

Eddy said...

So far so good, no complaint. Had been using it for nearly 1 year and Mrs. Nerdy cooked almost everyday :).

Good luck in your hunting.

tan said...

hey, i was facing the right dilemma of choosing hoob and hob before.

at last, i choose IKA HOOD AND HOB, cause it is within my budget of 2k. is a touch screen panel.

looks nice either.

you can reach this person 0124272637, in order to get a competitive price, which is much lower than retailer.

Eddy said...

Hi Tan,

Yeap, I saw IKA too in one of the showroom around Bukit Tinggi, Klang. The suction power is good. But I'm too conservative to like the touch screen panel because I have the impressive that it will get spoilt too soon on regular usage. IMHO of course.

Crystyn said...

I am looking for an island hood, as for asian cooking style, I would think of Zephyr and Tellini, I can't decide which is better, do you have any idea? Thanks

Eddy said...

Zephyr considered relatively more reknown for its brand.

Will you be cooking frequently? My decision over Tellini hood was due to its hot cleaning feature and reasonable pricing too.

IMHO, if you are just started to venture into the realm of cooking at home, maybe you should get something within or below your budget, try it out and slowly you will start to understand what is important to you when buying your next hood after few years.

So far, Fujioh is another brand to be recommended for heavy duty usages, but is kinda pricey.

Good luck,

Unknown said...

thanks for the tips u share. i have a budget of around 4.5k for the hood and the hob. i have decided on the same tellini hood that u bought. but still undecided on the burner? any recomendation. as for the hood are there any trendier model by tellini that have the same features or more than yours? thanks

Eddy said...

Wow, budget 4.5k is alot for hood and hob. For burner, my Rinnai 3SS built-in hob has been a wonder since its inception. As for more trendy hood, with your level of budget I believe you can definitely get what you want.

Good luck!

Unknown said...

thanks for the burner tips. but im still dying to find out about the burner alternatives. let say that i wanna spend around 2k for the hood what are my options?2. what do you think of the cyclone type burner by some manufactrer like national/ panasonic or the latest zemmne?

Eddy said...

Hi zaxwert,

It's really depend on your anticipated usages of the hood. Options are like Fotile, Elba, Pacific, Tellini, Electrolux, Rinnai among so many. Top of the range heavy duty hood of course is Fujioh but you might be scared of its design.

And for burner, look for anything above 1K with well known brand in hob should be safe enough because in this price range usually consists of their mid-high level products with better quality and performance.

Well, I still love my Rinnai :)

Lynn T said...

I came across your blog while checking on the hoods. How is your Tellini Hood going on?

I am in Batu Pahat, do u think my place has the Tellini dealer outlet ?

need the hood and hob urgently. I saw fr the website, Tellini has a promotion going on now, but I can't find the shop selling it.

Anyone can help me? Thk u.

Eddy said...

My Tellini hoob had already contributed to many of my sumptuous meals for the past 3 years and it still counting.

Can't help you much on the commercial part, I guess you gotta ask around appliance stores at Batu Pahat.

After sales convenience is kinda important.

Good luck.

jigc said...

hi,i searched hsw-2me tellini, and link me to your blog.

this model have only auto clean without HOT auto clean.

and i think, this saves electric consumption.

i'm wondering that do u need to clean it daily??

Eddy said...

Definitely not me who clean it :p

I think Mrs. Nerdy only does it once every month and she cooks like almost everyday.

Born2Reign said...

Just curious, why did you decide against Ika hood and hob?

And do you know Ika and Tellini are made from which country?

Thx

Eddy said...

Hi, not sure which country they are made from.

Anyway, many reasons constituted the decision but I guess my first impression about IKA did most of the motivation. The IKA model I saw got too many fancy things like LED panel and stuffs which I dislike because of more potential things that can fail.

:)

Born2Reign said...

So far are you satisfied with the after-sales service?

Did you also get an oven, if so which model?

Eddy said...

Nope, we didn't get an oven so far.

After sales services? No chance to try it out since the machine haven't fail on us yet. :p, touch wood.

Born2Reign said...

Thanks Eddy your research has helped a lot :-)

Eddy said...

My pleasure. :)

mrP said...

hi,

i bought HSW-2me Turbo AutoWash
and using it for the past 4 month or so.

i did try the autowash features.. fill in the water on the top left corner right? and just fine for couple of time.

last night, when we try again, the are water spillages at right corner of the hood..

Have you ever encounter the same problem? Do i overfill the liquid?
how to know the liquid is enough?

Thanks?

Eddy said...

Hi mrP,

So far no such complaint from Mrs. Nerdy. Maybe you just reduce the volume of water you pour in as I don't recall any manual mentioning the recommended amount. Last resort, call back to the shop to get post sales support, :)

Good luck!

WW said...

Hi Tan,
How is your IKA hood performing?
I'm planning to get one. Looking forward your review.
TIA

Eddy said...

Hi Ai Wei,

Not sure about IKA. Im using Tellini hood and it's still working fine.

You can check out Fotile too. Prices are available at some online sites like www.lazada.com.my

Hope this helps.


Knightliness said...

at last I bought Rinnai, the hod and also hood. so far so good. =)

Eddy said...

I have no regret too buying Rinnai :)