Tuesday, April 15, 2008

TheStar.com.my and Adsense (or any other Ad Providers)

It doesn't take me long to notice TheStar.com.my, one of Malaysia premier newspapers media corporation jumped on the bandwagon of online advertising collaborations with Google Adsense. Simply put, the online media web site (Click here) designated certain area on some/all of the served web pages for the purposes for displaying advertisement from the ad provider (in this case Google Adsense).

Since TheStar is a public listed entity in KLSE Malaysia under the name of STAR PUBLICATIONS BERHAD, correct me if i'm wrong, but I think it will be a good thing if the financial statements can show what is the significance of the online advertising to the income of the company. Don't get me wrong, I'm not try to be a fussy wuss, but if you check out Alexa.com about thestar.com.my, it is a avg 40 million page view per day 40 page view per million which is (40/1,000,000 * 6,602,224,175 = approx 264,000 page view per day) for thestar.com.my. I think the online ad thingy definitely contributing to the company, may it be tangible income or others.

* Population: 6,602,224,175 (July 2007 est.)




Here is the thing, since so many people (esp. Malaysian) visit the site everyday, the problem with TheStar+Adsense includes ads shown don't get regulated.

I screen captured 2 particular examples down here, they are not meant to be exhaustive, but you get the point.

1. Scam/Skim Cepat Kaya/Misleading Ads





I'm not saying that the Salary of $391.23 ad in the figure is a scam, but I also can't say that it's Not. The problem here is that any potential not legitimate contents/promotions/business models might pass through to the readers.

2. Illegal/Banned/Controlled/Violations





In this case, it is an obvious one that it violates at least few laws and regulations in Malaysia.

Even worst, if someone bought something like the Baton here and causes problem in the country, who should we blame? The weapon provider (NinjaCops.com), the weapon salesman (TheStar.com.my) or the end users?

For god sake, someone from authority please take a look on this issue.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wrong calculation. 40 per million page view mean that out of 1 million people on earth, 40 go to the website per day. So the correct calculation is 40/1,000,000 * (earth population) = 40/1,000,000 * 6,000,000,000 = 240,000 page view per day

Eddy said...

Yeah, PhuPang you saved my day. I overlooked the word "per", :p