Sunday, January 11, 2009

Typical Nerd in atypical Action - Mouse Hunt



I gotta admit home improvement process requires time, energy and persistency. It's like you're owning a very fragile kingdom castle and all sorts of missiles keep flying into your direction. Damn.

The weed problem is temporarily under control and the situation being monitored since the grasses turning yellowish as at today. There are 2 more trees I wanna chop down but the obstacle is they are further away into the bushes and I don't want to take the risk of being bitten by snakes or other ferocious creatures.

Not forget to mention too that my house was under attack by termites few months back but luckily I've discovered it early and forced back the offensive wave using DIY potions. Again, it will be kept under constant monitoring.

I've gave up about getting rid those little crippy and unwittingly numerious wall crawling things - lizards. They know where to hide, i.e. somewhere out of my reach, darn and they don't fall into the trap houses I bought, costing me RM10.00 with no apparent returns. Maybe someday I will just get a cat to do the work for me.

And then the Rats are(were?) here.

It started from downstair. First, these bastards bite their way through the washing machine's water outflowing plastic pipe. 1 meter long of pipe became 0.5 meter where 50% of it disappeared. Grgggg... I've used metal cable to form a barrier of entry to prevent them from reentrance.

They got brains! Then they almost crawled in through basin into the toilet from outside. I was like "What the hell". Grgggg.... again metal cable in action.

When I thought every possible "door" is closed, they struck one more time.

This time through the basin piping in the kitchen. They bite the pipe to nearly form a hole for them to enter. Thanks to my sensitivity to environmental changes, I've noticed the "security hole" before it is too late. It costs me RM20 to replace the basin pipes. I've put metal cables at the pipe hole outside but it seems to me will not be long lasting and I'm still in the middle of thinking a permanent solution.

So far, no more rat invasive activities detected at downstair. Peace.

Holy craps! I really need to shout. Suddenly at night I heard sounds of "things" running around above the ceiling. Googled about possiblities and found that they might be birds, rats, squirrels or others. Bought one box of ready-to-use 2 wood plates with glues and placed them above the ceiling. Guess what?! Both of the plates caught a rat, albeit small one. Emm... not really cost effective since the product is RM9 meaning I need to spend RM4.50 to catch a stupid rat? So I reverted to use conventional rat glue with manual application on corrugated cardboards. RM8 for 3 applications, roughly RM2.7 for a trap. 2 of it already being fruitful and the remaining one is still awaiting its precious owner.

Total rat killed so far: 4 in 3 months

The tough part during mouse trapping is that when you're going to hunt for them up the ceiling, you need to get ready for some body stretching and bending with excellent balancing. The roof structure is not a free to walk open space. Most spaces are limited by woods, joints and concretes. Also, you don't want to be misstep because you will be destroyed your gypsum ceilings and injured yourself. And prepare for lots of dusts and perhaps spiders.

Phew.. now I'm well trained in walking above there.

What's next? I need to strategize :-)


No comments: