Saturday, May 10, 2008

Bad Experience with BP Lab/BP Diagnostic Center in Klang

I will update the story soon. Stay Tune.

It's been more than a year since my previous comprehensive health check which I picked to do it in PathLab laboratory. Last year, I went there during week day around 12 noon and the entire process was ok. I spent like around RM1,500 buying a book of coupons that eventually was used up by my family members. No major complaint. I received my test results within 3 working days.

This year, I decided to choose another lab. Reasons? Nothing much, just want to try out more to compare and contrast.

So I went to BP Lab. I did it during a week day.

Firstly, I approached to the registration/cashier counter, picked up a queue number and wait. It doesn't take more than 10 minutes to reach my turn and being summoned to one of the service counter. The person assigned to serve me is a Chinese young lady who kindly registers my information into the system. So far so good.

Then she asked me a series of questions to asses which health check package suits my conditions. Basically their offerings ranged from RM188 for basic blood and urinalysis to RM1000 for everything they can possibly do for you. Mine was the RM550 package covering blood, urinalysis, ECG, bone density, lung function and abdominal ultrasound tests. One thing to highlight is that she flooded me with lots of medical jargons when explaining the package contents. Hey, I can cope with that coz I watched many series like HOUSE and GREY ANATOMY but lots of old folks have no idea what bull shitS you're selling. Bravo to Nerdy.

Summary of the test processes:


  • Blood
    I asked the lady to poke my left hand because I'm a right hander. Poked and half way the blood stopped flowing out. She looks panic and don't know what to do so she asked the DC Manager to come by to assist. During that gap, the needle was all the while "connected" with my arm and the blood just stagnant over there. Geez. The DC Manager came, unpoked it, drew out another one and this time I asked her to poke on my right hand on the belief that my right arm got better supply of blood. :p. Done in less than 5 minutes.

  • Urinalysis
    I did it myself the "extraction", nothing screw up.

  • ECG
    A "seasoned" nurse did it for me, nothing strew up. We had a nice chat anyway.

  • Lung Function Test
    I blew a few times to the device and my results still sucks. I'm not sure it's really my lung capacity problem or my blowing skills (Sounds weird :p). Anyway, a down point to the nurse for not providing technical guidance on how to correctly blow to the devide. She just said: Inhale as much as you can and exhale as fast and strong as possible. As a first timer, I thought that my exhaling way was correct but next time I will ask up and down, left to right the "perfect" way to do it.


  • Ultrasound
    Conducted by the branch doctor, Dr. Tan. She didn't talk much, just asked me to lie down and she starts to do the scanning. The process was professionally done, no craps.


  • Bone density test
    Nothing much, just put my left leg into the device and it will measure the density without pain.




Minor glitches:


  • Fuse Breaker tripped in the lab. Resolved in 10 minutes. Bad Omen??

  • Printer was offline. Resolved in 15 minutes by restarting the printer.




I will update the story with more juices soon. Stay Tune.

Oh boy, almost forget to update this post.

I think I will just summarize the story.

I remembered the day I went to collect my result was Saturday. I reached there around 9:30am and the place was totally crowded by people/customers. I need to queue (standing) to get the ticket, need to queue (standing again) for my turn, queue again (standing, of course) to resolve my issue and finally wasted some time of my life waiting for the personnel to compile my results.

They are absolutely unprepared for my "arrival", or maybe it's better to restate it as totally unprepared for that many of customers in a single day.

I don't mind queuing. Seriously.

What was pissed me off big time, is:


  • When the personnel told me that one of my blood result wasn't ready, due to some non-customer related issue. Ask me to come again some other day to pick up that single result.

  • When the personnel told me that the consultant doctor is not free due to too many customers. Ask me to come again next time when pass by so that the doc can interpret my results.



I agreed that the employees there are pleasant but not professional enough to my liking. I prefer a medical expert with HOUSE (TV series) type sarcastism than someone talking silly and bringing you to nowhere near where you want to be.

I shared my experience with my dude, Jack and he told me that maybe my incident was just branch-specific. He used to do his test in other BP Lab branch and so far so good. Emmm.... Ok, no matter what, no more visit to Klang branch.

No comments: